Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Classifying Your Waste
California and Federal law requires each waste generator (business) to properly classify their waste. This can be done by applying professional knowledge to the waste and to the processes generating the waste, or by testing according to the methods contained in Title 22 California Code of Regulations, Chapter 11 "Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste”. 
Failure to properly classify waste can lead to illegal disposal of hazardous waste into the solid waste stream which is punishable by severe monetary fines and clean-up costs, and may include incarceration depending on the severity of the crime.  You may contact the following for assistance:
  • California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) directly to speak to a Regulatory Assistance Officer by calling (800) 728-6942, or (800) 72TOXIC or e-mail the Regulatory Assistance Office at [email protected]. If you are calling from out-of-state, you will need to call (916) 255-3617. You can also find more information regarding classifying waste at:
  • Riverside County Department of Environmental Health’s Hazardous Materials Management Division at (951) 358-5055 or 

If you are unsure if your waste is hazardous waste or not, do not send it to the landfill. Some waste streams that the Department landfills conditionally accept include, but are not limited to: demolition & renovation waste, food wastes, manure, grit and screenings from waste water treatment facilities, tires, treated medical waste, low level hydrocarbon contaminated soil, dead animal carcasses, ash, gypsum board, and treated wood waste. Acceptance policies and handling procedures for these and many other types of conditionally acceptable wastes are found in the Department’s Waste Guide.

All customers using Riverside County landfills can expect their loads to be randomly inspected to ensure hazardous materials are not disposed in Riverside County landfills.


The photos above show emergency response due to illegal disposal of hazardous waste at the landfill. These types of incidents are turned over to District Attorney’s Office of Environmental Crimes.

    Retail Stores Accept Waste Paint

    Recycle your leftover paint with PaintCare, an industry sponsored paint stewardship non-profit program established to manage the reuse, recycling and proper disposal of unused architectural paint. PaintCare will establish hundreds of drop-off sites at paint retail stores, government-run household hazardous waste facilities, and other locations across California. When these sites are part of PaintCare, they will accept program products (primarily latex and oil based paint) from all residents and certain businesses. For more information:

    Hazardous Waste Transporters

    For a list of registered hazardous waste transporters, please see the list provided by the Riverside County Department of Environmental Health, located HERE. This information is offered as a public service in an effort to eliminate illegal and improper waste disposal. As the information may not be comprehensive, the Department encourages the public to research additional companies that are available for the services sought. The companies are not affiliated, endorsed or regulated by the Department. Accordingly, as with any professional service, please confirm the accuracy of the company’s information and request copies or verification of the company's license and/or permits to provide the service, prior to utilizing its services. Under no circumstances, directly or indirectly, shall the Department be held responsible or liable for reliance on this information. If you would like to include your company on the list, please contact [email protected] or call (951) 486-3200.

    Universal Waste Transporters & Facilities

    Universal wastes are hazardous wastes that are widely produced by households and many different types of businesses. Universal wastes include televisions, computers and other electronic devices as well as batteries, fluorescent lamps, mercury thermostats, and other mercury containing equipment, among others. For a list of universal waste transporters and facilities that accept universal waste, please see the list provided by the Riverside County Department of Environmental Health, located HERE.

    Small Business Hazardous Waste Information

    Business waste is not accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program. Businesses can get information on disposal by calling 1-888-722-4234 or (951) 358-5055 or from Riverside County Department of Environmental Health’s Hazardous Materials Management Division’s website (

    Businesses and government agencies in Riverside County that generates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste a month can participate in Riverside County Department of Waste Resources' Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) Program to properly dispose of its hazardous waste